I’ve known a whole lot of very smart people with a ton of potential. All they needed was a break or two and someone to push them forward towards success. Unfortunately neither of those “needs” were ever fulfilled. So, much of their smarts, talents and abilities where left unused.
They have done okay in life, outside observers might even say they have done better than just okay. But the people themselves often lament the fact that their “big break” never happened. They didn’t have that person in their lives they needed to really push them to use those smarts, talents and abilities. I feel bad for them.
I feel bad because in fact they did have that person in their lives. In fact, they saw that person everyday. Every time they looked in the mirror that person stared back at them. That’s also the person who could have given them their big break if only they had made the effort.
Full success was always there for the taking, they only had to stop waiting and start doing.
Pushing yourself to success involves a combination of attitude, strategies, and consistent effort. Two of those you have complete and total control over. Once you realize that you’ll be a hard person to stop.
When you decide to control your attitude and give your best effort at every opportunity you can use these steps to push yourself to your full potential.
- Set Clear Goals: Define specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) goals. Having a clear vision of what you want to achieve provides direction and motivation.
- Break Down Tasks: Divide your goals into smaller, manageable tasks. This prevents overwhelm and allows you to make steady progress.
- Visualize Success: Create a mental image of your desired outcome. Visualization helps you build a positive mindset and fosters determination. Dream big, think big, plan big. Big success rarely comes from modest dreams, goals and thinking…so let it rip.
- Develop a Growth Mindset: Embrace challenges, setbacks, and failures as opportunities to learn and grow. Believe in your ability to develop skills and improve over time.
- Create a Plan: Develop a detailed action plan outlining the steps you need to take to achieve your goals. This provides structure and keeps you focused.
- Prioritize and Manage Time: Identify your most important tasks (MITs) each day and allocate time blocks to work on them. Use techniques like the Pomodoro Technique to maintain focus and productivity.
- Eliminate Distractions: Minimize interruptions and distractions during your work periods. Turn off notifications, create a dedicated workspace, and communicate your focused periods to those around you.
- Stay Consistent: Consistency is key. Commit to working on your goals regularly, even on days when you don’t feel motivated. Honestly, a half assed effort on days you’re not feeling it is better than no effort at all. Over time, consistent effort yields significant results.
- Embrace Discipline: Develop self-discipline by setting boundaries, sticking to your schedule, and making conscious choices that align with your goals.
- Seek Continuous Learning: Invest in your personal and professional development. Stay updated with industry trends, acquire new skills, and broaden your knowledge base.
- Embrace Failure and Adapt: Accept that setbacks are part of the journey. Analyze failures, learn from them, and adjust your strategies accordingly.
- Review and Adjust: Regularly assess your progress and adjust your goals and strategies if needed. Flexibility is crucial as circumstances change.
Pushing yourself to success is a gradual process that requires dedication and perseverance. Be patient with yourself. Some days you’ll say the heck with it, I need me time. That’s fine too. Don’t be afraid to seek guidance or support when needed. The journey may have challenges, but the rewards are well worth the effort. I’ve yet to find a single person who regrets using their God given talents and abilities to their fullest potential. I’m certain you won’t be the first.
Want more of LeadToday? I’ve changed things up on my Twitter feed for subscribers. I recently began publishing two or three videos each week focusing on an element of Authentic Leadership. I’ll post these videos each Tuesday and Thursday morning. Sometimes a bonus video pops up at other times during the week. They will be about 10 minutes long so we can get into the topic in a more meaningful way. The investment for subscribers in still only $4.99 a month. That’s for at least 80 MINUTES of quality video content on leadership a month.
If you’re interested in taking a look, head on over to my Twitter profile page. If you’re not a follower yet just hit the follow button. It will change to a subscribe button and once you hit that you’re on your way. You can cancel at any time you’ve decided you have nothing left to learn about leading the people who you count on for your success.
Here’s the link to my Twitter… https://twitter.com/leadtoday