Whenever I ask people in leadership positions where they need the most help I hear, “I need to be more inspiring.” “I need to help my people be more motivated.” Those are common responses. So is the response I get when I ask “what are you doing about that? The answer to that question is most often crickets!
Becoming a more inspiring leader requires a combination of personal qualities, effective communication, and the ability to motivate and empower others. Here are some key steps you can take to enhance your leadership in a way that inspires those around you.
- Lead by example. This one is huge. Whether you are a great leader, a crappy leader or somewhere in between you are leading by example. Your people are always watching you. They are watching to see if your words line up with your actions. They are watching to see if the “rules” that apply to them apply to you as well. They are watching to see if they can trust you. They are watching to see if you are worth following. They are always watching. Inspiring leaders demonstrate the qualities and behaviors they expect from their team members. You must be a role model who embodies integrity, passion, commitment, and a strong work ethic. When others see your dedication and positive attitude, they are more likely to be motivated and inspired to follow suit. Never forget, your people will do what YOU do about a thousand times faster than they will do what you say.
- Communicate your vision. Clearly articulate your vision and goals to your team. Frequently. Help them understand the purpose and significance of their work. Provide context and explain how their contributions fit into the bigger picture. Effective communication helps create a shared sense of purpose and inspires people to work towards a common goal.
- Be a good listener. Actively listen to your team members and show genuine interest in their ideas, concerns, and feedback. In fact, don’t just show genuine interest, BE genuinely interested. Encourage open and honest communication. Create an environment where everyone feels valued and heard. By considering different perspectives, you can make better-informed decisions and inspire trust and respect among your team.
- Provide meaningful feedback. Offer constructive feedback and praise when appropriate. Recognize and acknowledge the accomplishments and efforts of your team members. Regularly provide guidance and support to help individuals grow and develop their skills. When people feel their work is appreciated and they receive guidance for improvement, they become more motivated and inspired.
- Foster a positive work culture. Cultivate a positive and inclusive work environment where individuals feel safe to express their ideas and take risks. Encourage collaboration, teamwork, and creativity. Celebrate successes and create opportunities for team-building activities. A positive work culture promotes enthusiasm and inspiration among team members.
- Empower and delegate. Trust your team members and empower them to take ownership of their work. Delegate tasks and responsibilities, allowing individuals to grow and develop their skills. Provide the necessary resources, support, and autonomy for them to succeed. When people feel trusted and empowered, they become more motivated and inspired to achieve their best.
- Develop your emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is the ability to understand and manage your own emotions and effectively relate to others. Developing emotional intelligence helps you connect with your team on a deeper level, show empathy, and navigate challenging situations with grace. By understanding and responding to the emotions of others, you can inspire and motivate them more effectively.
- Continuously learn and grow. Stay curious and committed to your own personal and professional growth. Seek opportunities for learning, whether through books, courses, seminars, or mentors. A leader who is constantly evolving and expanding their knowledge inspires others to do the same.
If you have been paying attention to this blog the last several weeks you’ll have likely noticed that each one of those steps have been covered in greater detail. Authentic Leaders help people succeed. They help common people achieve uncommon results by pushing them towards their full potential. Authentic Leaders know the way to success, they show the way to success and most importantly, they go the way to success.
Remember, inspiring leadership is a continuous journey. One that requires self-reflection, adaptability, and a genuine desire to positively impact others. By embodying these principles, you can inspire and empower your team to achieve greatness together. That is the essence of Authentic Leadership.